MD. Presented by HotDoc.
Dr Ron Epstein—Combating physician burnout
Uploaded: April 30th, 2020
Listen on your preferred platform
About Dr Ron Epstein
Dr Ron Epstein is a Harvard trained family physician who started out practicing in the 70s when the HIV epidemic was just emerging and there was no treatment. Since then he has spent 40 years working in end of life and advanced cancer care.
Dr Epstein is also a lifelong meditator and mindfulness coach, and is the co-director of Mindful Practice Programs, which offer 4-day retreat-like workshops for doctors, to show them how they can provide better care for their patients by taking better care of themselves. These retreats show clinicians not only mindfulness techniques for dealing with stress, but also how to build resilience and how to protect yourself from burnout and bitterness by getting out of your own way.
He also wrote the book ‘ATTENDING—Medicine, Mindfulness, and Humanity’. The first published book on mindfulness and medicine.
Background, Context and Reference:
- Connect with Dr. Ron Epstein: Twitter and LinkedIn
- Blog: Uncertainty by Ron Epstein
- Book: Attending: Medicine, Mindfulness and Humanity
- Article: Mindfulness in Medicine: Healing the Healer
- Journal: Mindful Practice in Action: Cultivating Habits of Mind
- Article: Medicine as a Mindful Practice: Ronald Epstein ’76 MD
- Oxford Mindfulness Centre: Is Mindfulness Relevant to Medical Education?
- Journal: Mindfulness-Based Interventions: A Coming of Age?
- New York Times: Easing Doctor Burnout with Mindfulness
- Medscape: The Power of a Physician’s Kind Word
- CMAJ: Ronald Epstein: from awkward moments to mindful practice
- Article: Physicians practice putting mind over matter
- Washington Independent: An Interview with Ronald Epstein
- Maslach Burnout Inventory
- Journal: Understanding the burnout experience: recent research and its implications for psychiatry
- New York Times: Teaching Doctors to be Mindful
- Journal: The Gift of Mindfulness
- Future Learn: Mindfulness for Wellbeing and Peak Performance
- Article: Q&A with Dr. Ron Epstein and Dr. Mick Krasner of Mindful Practice
- New York Times: How Mindfulness Can Make for Better Doctors
- Journal: The Impact of a Program in Mindful Communication on Primary Care Physicians
- American Medical News: Using mindfulness to sooth physician stress
Notable journals and institutions discussed in today’s podcasts
Other podcasts/information you might enjoy:
- Ronald Epstein MD – Being a mindful patient
- Mindfulness workshop series
- What can help COVID-19 frontliners who are exhausted and overwhelmed
- Understanding Job Burnout – Dr Christina Maslach
- Grounded in Science with Dr Craig Hassed
- Dr. Ronald Epstein – Keynote Presentation, 2013
- Dr. Ronald Epstein Discusses His Recent Work, “Attending: Medicine, Mindfulness and Humanity”