MD. Presented by HotDoc.
Dr Barbara Natterson-Horowitz—What physicians can learn from vets
Uploaded: June 01, 2020
Listen on your preferred platform
About Dr Barbara Natterson-Horowitz
Dr Barbara Natterson-Horowitz is a cardiologist and Professor at Harvard University’s Department of Human Evolutionary Biology. She also co-directs UCLA’s Evolutionary Medicine Program and is a Professor of Medicine at UCLA’s Division of Cardiology.
As well as being a physician, Dr Natterson-Horowitz has also had the unique experience of operating on dozens of different species of animals, working as a consultant surgeon for the Los Angeles Zoo. She has operated on everything from apes to birds, big cats to sea mammals.
Along with veterinarian Kathryn Bowers, Dr Natterson-Horowitz wrote the book ‘Zoobiquity: The Astonishing Connection Between Human and Animal Health’ where she shares her multispecies patient insights. The book became a New York Times bestseller. More recently she and Kathryn released their book ‘Wildhood: The Epic Journey from Adolescence to Adulthood in Humans and Other Animals’.
Background, Context and Reference:
- Connect on Twitter
- Pub Med: Publications
- Zoobiquity Conferences: Website
- Book: Zoobiquity
- Book: Wildhood
- News Week: That Bird Just Saved My Life: What Animals Can Teach Doctors
- American Veterinary Medical Association: From Zoobiquity to Wildhood – Physician spreads message that humans have a lot to learn from other animals
- TED Talk: What veterinarians know that physicians don’t
- News Week: What Animals Can Teach Us About Teenagers’ Risky Behaviour
- TEDx Talks: Not Uniquely Human: Barbara Natterson-Horowitz
- Psychology Today: Astounding Connections Between Human and Animal Adolescents
- News Week: How Two Authors Changed Their Parenting Styles After Studying Animals in the Wild
- NPR: Zoobiquity: What Humans Can Learn From Animal Illness
- Smithsonian Magazine: How Looking to Animals Can Improve Human Medicine
- News Week: Why Elephants Don’t Get Cancer – and What That Means for Humans
- New York Times: Our Animal Natures
- Sydney Morning Herald: Doctors and vets join forces for Australian-first Zoobiquity Conference
- Medium: The Human Animal
- VIN News: Can MDs and DVMs bridge the cultural divide?
Notable journals and institutions discussed in today’s podcasts
Other podcasts/information you might enjoy:
- Not Uniquely Human: The Astonishing Connection Between Human and Animal Health
- What animals can teach us about adolescence
- Barbara Natterson-Horowitz: The Future of Medicine
- Zoobiquity: A Look at Humans, Animals and Health
- AOL Video: You’ve Got Dr. Barbara Natterson-Horowitz
- Anthropogeny for Medicine and Health – Barbara Natterson-Horowize: Zubiquity and One Medicine
- Barbara Natterson-Horowitz: Zoobiquity
- Zoobiquity in the Real World
- Zoobiquity: Animals Are More Like Us Than We Think