MD. Presented by HotDoc.
Dr Jud Brewer—Breaking habit loops
Uploaded: June 15, 2020
Listen on your preferred platform
About Dr Jud Brewer
Dr Jud Brewer is an addiction psychiatrist and internationally known expert at treating addictions with mindfulness. He has spent the past 20 years at Yale, MIT and Brown University studying how our brains form negative behaviour patterns, bad habits and addictions.
His TED talk—a simple way to break a bad habit—is in the top 50 most viewed TED talks of all time. At the time of this interview it had received more than 25 million views.
Much of Dr Brewer’s research focuses on using mindfulness to break habit loops associated with things like smoking, overeating and anxiety. His company MindSciences actually has three apps for combating these. The apps are called Eat Right Now, Unwinding Anxiety and Craving to Quit. The apps are built on research conducted by Dr Brewer’s team.
Check out Dr Judson Brewer’s website, full of resources, his range of addiction programs and apps.
Background, Context and Reference:
- Connect with Dr Judson Brewer: Website, Facebook, Twitter, Instagram
- Ted Talk: A simple way to break a bad habit
- Book: The Craving Mind
- Apps: Unwinding Anxiety, Eat Right Now, Craving to Quit
- 60 Minutes: With Anderson Cooper
- NBC News: Interview about digital therapies
- ABC: Craving
- You Tube: The Craving Mind
- Blog Post: Is Anxiety a Habit? Talking with Dr Judson Brewer
- MIT: Judson Brewer-Mindfulness and Neurofeedback
- Harvard Business Review: How to break up with your bad habits
- US News: In Addiction Recovery, a Matter of the Mind
- Brown Daily Herald: Research thrives at Mindfulness Centre
- Elemental: This is what’s happening in your brain when your mind wanders
- NY Times Magazine: Can mindfulness evolve from wellness pursuit to medical treatment?
Notable people discussed in today’s podcast
Other podcasts/information you might enjoy:
- The Rich Roll Podcast: Dr Jud on treating addiction with mindfulness
- Pod Cast Notes: Dr Jud Brewer on Addiction and the Science Behind Breaking Bad Habits
- Podchaser: Making Sense with Sam Harris
- Sam Harris: The Unquiet Mind