MD. Presented by HotDoc.
Dr Donald Berwick—Quality improvement
Uploaded: June 25, 2020
Listen on your preferred platform
About Dr Donald Berwick
Dr Donald Berwick is a Harvard-trained paediatrician and a leading authority on health care quality improvement. He co-founded the Institute for Healthcare Improvement in 1991 and was the CEO for two decades, turning the organisation into the world’s leading institution for quality improvement in healthcare.
In 2005, he was knighted by the Queen for his work with the NHS and in 2010 he was appointed by President Obama to serve as an Administrator for the Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services. He has also served on President Clinton’s Advisory Commission on Consumer Protection and Quality in the Healthcare Industry.
He currently serves as Lecturer in the Department of Health Care Policy at Harvard Medical School.
Background, Context and Reference:
- Connect with Dr. Don Berwick: Facebook, LinkedIn, Twitter
- Institute for Healthcare Improvement
- IHI Open School
- Modern Healthcare: Q&A with Dr. Donald Berwick: Physicians can’t be silent on public policy issues
- CBS News: One Doctor’s Crusade for Hospital Reform
- The New York Times: 10 steps to better health care
- DHIS: What is IHI’s “Triple Aim?” Founders Don Berwick, Maureen Bisognano Lay Out Campaign for Change
- Journal of American Medicine: The Science of Improvement
- Analysis: Steadying the NHS
- Newsweek: Keys to safer hospitals
- Transcript: Dr. Donald Berwick’s Speech to the British National Health Service
- Lecture: Can clinicians lead change?
- Health Affairs: A Deficiency of Will and Ambition: A Conversation with Donald Berwick
- American Journal of Medicine: Fixing Healthcare Requires a Return to Purpose, Berwick says
- Website: 40 Years of the RAND Health Insurance Experiment
- RAND Medical Outcomes Study: Measures of Quality of Life Core Survey from RAND Health Care
- IHI: Overview of the 100,000 Lives Campaign
- NCBI: Advanced access: reducing waiting and delays in primary care
Notable people and institutions discussed in today’s podcast
Other podcasts/information you might enjoy:
- Defining Quality: Aiming for a Better Health Care System
- Don Berwick: IHI National Forum Keynote Addresses
- Former CMS Administrator Donald Berwick on Leadership in the Next Steps on Health Reform
- Deming Institute Podcast
- TedX: We spend our dollars on healthcare, but not health – Blanton Godfrey
- The Human Side of Enterprise
- The Machine the Changed the World
- The Fifth Discipline
- Managing the Unexpected: Resilient Performance in an Age of Uncertainty
- Human Error
- The Design of Everyday Things
- The Improvement Guide: A Practical Approach to Enhancing Organisational Performance